Top 10 Reasons To Become An Entrepreneur

Everyday Entrepreneurs

Top ten reasons to become an entrepreneur

I know I am getting a bit into Guy Kawasaki mode, but I've been wanting to write on this for quite some time. The problem being that I don't have any statistics or articles that would aid in building a universally acceptable top 10 list. So the best thing would be to list out the top 10 reasons that drove me to do this:

1. I've always wanted to do this: For some strange reason, ever since I was a kid I have always wanted to build my own business. The question for me always was "when" and not "if". Somehow, other than a brief dalliance with the idea of becoming a fighter pilot, I've never really floundered on what I want to do for a living. It's always been business.

2. For a higher purpose: It's not just about the money. It's also about listening to a different piper's tune. It's about wanting to do something very different from the mainstream. I have grandiose dreams of being able to inspire a lot of other would-be entrepreneurs out there to take the leap of faith and begin their own ventures. Directly or indirectly I have always wanted to promote entrepreneurship within India, because that's what pumps up the economy - the pursuit of the creation of wealth. It creates opportunities for financial empowerment of all sectors of society, and it helps create a shared goal and shared vision of what a country should strive to achieve.

3. Because it's very creative: The process of staring a business, building and nurturing it is very creative. It requires constant ideation, and forces you to keep the creative juices flowing. More so, when things are going good and there is a tendency to rest on one's laurels.

4. For the sheer challenge of it: When I was in college I could have chosen the standard path of graduation, post-graduation, decently-paid job in the US or elsewhere, and so forth. I knew I could do that. But this was a much, much bigger challenge.

5. For the creation of wealth: Oh yes! There's no denying the fact that the creation of wealth is one of the primary goals of any enterprise, and most entrepreneurs dream of material wealth and possessions - well at least I have my eyes on a new Hayabusa. But there's more to it than just money. Creation of wealth is not just cash in the bank or assets, but also good will, reputation, camaraderie, experience, and most importantly intellectual capital.

6. For the independence: The independence to do what I wanted to do, and to do it in a way where my principles and values would not be compromised. Where my potential would not be capped by the potential of a boss.

7. Because I am crazy: That hardly needs much explanation, but a certain amount of eccentricity is almost essential to a successful business.

8. Because it's cool: Yup, running your own business is definitely cooler than slogging it out in the corporate machinery. Which is not to say that it doesn't have it's ups and downs, and an entirely different set of problems and stressful situations.

9. Because there's nothing else I'd rather be doing: I absolutely love what I do. I wake up every morning - ok, most mornings - looking forward to going to work, anticipating what good news my Inbox might bring in today. Of all the things I could be doing with my time, working at my business is #1.

10. Because I'm inspired: Whether it is Akio Morita, or Warren Buffet, or Richard Branson, self-made capitalists have always been a tremendous inspiration.

Top 10 Reasons to Become a Game Designer

Top 10 Reasons to Become a Teacher

Feel free to add your own reasons to the list...

Labels:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Top 10 reasons to become a ... Anyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cool article. Thanks for posting that. I want to become an entrepreneur and start off with buying a small business. I know it will be tough, but I'm sure it'll be very rewarding. I'm looking forward to it. I've been reading up on everything, but I haven't been able to find any potential businesses. Any suggestions where to go? Thanks.

July 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Harold-- check out BizTrader.com. It's an online global marketplace where you can buy, sell, or invest in small business. There are great resources for you to use and wide selection of businesses for sale. I highly recommend it. Good luck!

July 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home